Call Today 401- 434-1520
Hattie Ide Chaffee Home was founded in 1947 by Dr. Herman Pitts, a dedicated cancer specialist, and Mrs. James Carmack, the state regional commander of the Woman's Field Army, a division of the American Cancer Society. Under the direction of Dr. Pitts, the facility first opened its doors to patients on December 6, 1948, on South Broadway in East Providence.
He established the home’s mission to be the only nonprofit nursing facility in Rhode Island dedicated to providing skilled care within a homelike environment to patients with cancer. The facility was made possible by a gift of land and residence from East Providence businessman Walter Chaffee and named in honor of his mother, Hattie Ide Chaffee. Additional gifts from other public support totaled $40,000.
Hattie Ide Chaffee opened its present facility in January 1960 with a building fund of $700,000. This fund was raised from memorial gifts and public subscriptions. Over the years, the home has expanded its mission to include all types of patients who need skilled services. Today, we strive to continue the outstanding tradition of care that has been provided by the home for over sixty years. Hattie Ide Chaffee takes pride in providing exceptionally high staffing ratios.
Deborah Griffin is Administrator of the Year 2016
We would like to congratulate Deborah Griffin on her achievement on becoming the Administrator of the year in 2016. We are so happy to have you a part of our team.
Posted Oct 20, 2016